The Center for Healthcare Supply Chain Management retained Forrester Research, Inc. to conduct a research study and develop a recommended blueprint for data sharing and data management along the pharmaceutical supply chain.
To better understand the healthcare industry’s current state of supply chain data sharing and formulate a path forward to item-level data sharing, Forrester Research Inc. completed a series of comprehensive surveys and interviews across 90 vested constituents including manufacturers, distributors, independent pharmacies, large retail pharmacies, hospitals and clinics.
The unique opportunities and challenges identified by Forrester Inc. translate into four critical business requirements for a comprehensive data sharing blueprint:
- The ability to meet or exceed state and federal law.
- Opportunity to look beyond meeting regulatory requirements and obtain better operational event visibility across the supply chain.
- Enable the industry to accumulate a picture of industry-wide operations and achieve a heightened awareness of suspicious activity.
- Allow for tightly managed and conditional access to shared data.
Given these blueprint requirements and acknowledging that trading partners will have varying degrees of current investment and future need, a recommended blueprint has been developed using a phased approach designed to provide supply chain constituents with a strategic platform that supports incremental increased in data sharing with incremental investments and without waste:
- Level 1: Achieve pedigree compliance through a direct-connect model.
- Level 2: Extend the direct-connect model for on-demand event visibility.
- Level 3: Add proactive supply chain intelligence and adopt a network registry.
• Click here to download (PDF: 1.97M)
The Center for Healthcare Supply Chain Research would like to thank the sponsors of Phase II of the Data Management/ Data Sharing Initiative for their generous support.
The Center for Healthcare Supply Chain Research would like to thank the following companies for their generous sponsorship and participation in Phase II) The Blueprint for Data Management/Data Sharing in the Healthcare Supply Chain.
AmerisourceBergen Drug Company
Edge Dynamics, Inc.
Johnson & Johnson Sales & Logistics Company
McKesson Supply Solutions
Ortho-Biotech Products, LP
Ortho-McNeil Janssen Pharmaceutical Services
Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals
Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc.
US Oncology Specialty, LP
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc.